September 04, 2007

Final Thoughts:
An Interview With the Author

aka I have nothing to do at work, so I'm interviewing myself


Interviewer: We're all dying to know, was it worth it?!
HDubs: Absolutely. While there were a few rough times, and numerous frustrations with Chinese bureaucracy, my year in China was completely worthwhile. After all, I gained experiences that most people will never have. And the fried rice is delish.

I: Interesting! They say hindsight is 20/20; would you have done anything differently?
HDubs: Well I really love hindsight, especially because my current vision is something like 20/40...More to the point, I would've brought toilet paper. Showing up to a TP-less apartment in the Shizz after 24+ hours of traveling was a real dilemma. Also, I wouldn't have brought those extra 10 pairs of shoes. Aaaand I should've done a better job teaching in the early mornings...and the afternoons.
I:Wow! Now, what I've really been wondering is what was your best experience in China?
HDubs: Leaving it. I was lucky enough to go on vacation outside of the country a few times, and the travel that ensued was always amazing. Seriously though? Breaking out of my little American bubble was priceless. There's nothing like traveling abroad to give you a wider perspective of your home country. The food was good too.

I: Such excellent insight! How about your worst experience in China?
HDubs: The train stations. I would gladly never ever return to a Chinese train station ever again. Unless I really wanted to be pushed, shoved, ogled and glared at, all at once.

I: Hmm, sounds daunting! On the brighter side, what was your favorite thing in China?
HDubs: My supportive co-workers... Just kidding! The food was amazing. My students were great and I learned so much about China from them that I never could have learned otherwise. I also really liked my 4 hour work days... and the fried rice.

I: Sounds great! What phenomena did you dislike?
HDubs: Well, dislike is a real understatement here, so I'll stick with 'abhor.' By and large, the Chinese people have no respect for the concept of a 'line,'
or as some would say, a 'queue.' I've been cut in front of more times than I've had a Chinese taxi driver give me a puzzled look, and that's a lot! Seriously, the Chinese only stand in line for the ATM. Other than that, there are always, ALWAYS, people cutting in front of each other or even blatantly shoving each other out of the way. Getting to the front of the line at McDonald's was always a hard-won accomplishment.

I: Well, that must've been a bit frustrating.
HDubs: Shut up. Frustrating doesn't even begin to cover it.

I: All righty! If you could change anything about China, what would it be?
HDubs: Nothing. Kidding again!! While I really like staring directly at the sun, their air pollution is a bit excessive. And then there's the spitting. Well, it's really more than spitting. It's more like they attempt to hock their diaphragm out, rather than the gumball-sized wad of yellow phlegm that they actually produce.

I: Yum! The 2008 Olympics Games will be held in Beijing, will you return for them?
HDubs: Negatory. I do not plan on returning to China anytime in the next 5 years. Moreover, I'd much rather pull all of my hair out by the roots than be in China, especially Beijing, during the Olympics. However, I can hardly contain my glee in anticipation for watching the world news coverage of the Games. It will be quite interesting to see the world's reaction when faced with traveling and living in China... and of course all the insanity that ensues.

I: Well it looks like we're almost out of time, any last words?
HDubs: No. Wait... Thanks for reading :)

No comments: