June 26, 2007

What's So Cool About China?

As much as China positively infuriates me at times, such as when I'm at the train station, there are a multitude of phenomenon that make it all worthwhile. For those of you that know me, it will come as no surprise that most of these have to do with food. So, let me count the ways...

  • The unbelievable dirt-cheapness of everything.
  • The pounds of locally grown fresh fruit that you can buy for little more than a dime on every street corner...Come to think of it, there isn't a street corner here that doesn't sell something.
  • The pirated DVDs of nearly every American and English movie and television show imaginable, often for less than a dollar a disc.
  • The Korean BBQ's on nearly every corner. There are few things more delicious than spiced lamb kebabs at 3 in the morning after a night of debauchery.
  • The MSG. While I avoid this in America, that's just impossible here, as it's used just as much as salt and pepper... And it just turns out to be delicious!
  • The designer-impostor version of everything. You too can have your own fake Louis Vuitton purse, Chanel No. 5, and Victoria Beckham jeans for less than 15 dollars. For just another couple of dollars, they might even look like the real thing... Did I mention I'm now in love with Mulberry?
  • The Sweet and Sour Chicken that is just like that of Panda Express, but cheaper, and in China.

And my two absolute favorites (for the moment, that is)

  • The little ramshackle street 'cafes' centered around 12 foot high piles of watermelon. You can pay by the kilo and they'll crack open a fresh melon for you to eat right then and there. Oh, summer!
  • I get to learn about Tibet, from real live Tibetans. That's pretty cool.

No comments: