July 01, 2007

Short and Not So Sweet

Since I've been bored out of my mind in the past couple weeks, I've taken it upon myself to be a little more adventurous than usual. My venture of choice? Trying new fruits. I've had summer melons, miniature cherries, plums of all colors, and today... a lychee. I've had canned lychee before, and they weren't bad at all, I might even say they were refreshing! However, I can't say the same for the fresh one I ate tonight. Opening a lychee, or 'peeling' per se, is an ordeal in and of itself. Firstly, lychee have a dark red skin, with atexture that I can only describe as alien. Bumpy, yet smooth. Firm, yet yielding. It's weird, in a not-so-good way. Secondly, after peeling back the outside, which is more like a shell than like a traditional peel, the fruit itself is revealed. It's white and opaque, in an unnatural, un-fruity sort of way. It has has the feel of a peeled grape that's been injected with some type of firm gelatin. It's basically what I would imagine extra-terrestrial spawn to look like. Then, I ate it. The taste? Meh. At first it was sweet, like the canned variety. But then, it took on an almost savory taste, as though it had been fertilized with something unspeakable... I shall you leave you with that thought, as I now have a week of exams ahead of me, aka a week of gathering bloggeriffic insight!

No comments: